Sunday, February 23, 2014

I Knew I was Getting Old When...

Harper's Bazaar March 2014

I first knew I was getting old when I didn't "get" Lady Gaga. Yes, it was some time ago. That only proves how long I've been getting old. Well, here she is on the cover of Harper's Bazaar, the March 2014 issue, which adds up to 530 pages and weighs in at 2 pounds, 11.4 ounces. You know Vogue will top/tip that!

Back to Gaga, the Cindy Sherman of entertainers. What initially irked me was she imitated Madonna, back in the day. I wish Madonna would return to Madonna back in the day. Since then Lady Gaga has worn and shed a million skins. I have no idea who she really is (am sure I've never seen her perform). Versatility is fine for Meryl Streep or Judi Dench— crackerjack actresses yet real women with their own personalities— but what is a Lady Gaga?

I looked this up. Lady Gaga was born Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta and is an "American recording artist, activist, record producer, businesswoman, fashion designer, philanthropist and actress". In other words she is playing the Fame Game for all it's worth.

Lady Gaga playing Miss Haversham..
...and playing herself?

I love originals. There are not many of them. I do give credit to those who've been influenced by originals before them (the Bee Gees by the Beatles). You can still create an identity. Influence is not the same as a Beatles tribute show. I know nothing is new under the sun, and we're all influenced by something. I just can't figure out who she is. And worse, I don't really care. Gaga never holds onto a creation long enough to make it register. Perhaps that's a statement about today's (disposable) culture.  I can avoid her most times. I just wish she weren't taking up so much valuable real estate in the magazines I love.

One characteristic of Older is we tend to rant a lot. We're less impressed by superficial achievements and tend to think we've seen it before/and or did it better ourselves. I try not to be that person. But I've yet to figure out what makes Lady Gaga such a draw.

Oh and here's a Gaga I don't want to see on the cover of anything:





3 comments:

  1. I agree completely!! I don't think Madonna can even get back to be who ever she is. Grills on her teeth!! Let's also add Miley Cyrus to the pack of Madonna wanna be's. What ever happened to wanting to look pretty? These gals have taken plagiarism to a while new level.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not getting OLD you are just getting WISE. Actually, doesn't she look lovely when she is just being herself. For me she is only a name, I know nothing about her, and I think that does mean that I'm old!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more!

    ReplyDelete