Tuesday, November 20, 2018

R.I.P. Glamour Magazine

Issue #1

Word has come down from on high at Conde Nast that Glamour Magazine will no longer publish in print. The January 2019 edition will be its last. Glamour will not quite have reached its 80th birthday.

Glamour was first published as "Glamour of Hollywood" in April, 1939. It soon stopped concentrating on movie stars and directed itself to "the girl with a job". That intensified after Glamour's merge with Charm magazine ("for women who work") in 1957.

Glamour promoted fashion and beauty, work and relationships in roughly that order. It became a bible for many young women; I was one of them. I started reading Glamour in 1956 when I was 13 and never missed an issue until I was unceremoniously let go in 1989.

But I digress.

Glamour was the road map for my future life. I knew I would leave Cleveland and move to New York City. I wanted to be a graphic designer, but my goal was not to be in publishing. As fate would have it (great expression) I ended up working in the design department of Glamour for 24 years, eventually becoming assistant art director.

My first issue: July 1965

I've written extensively about Glamour, especially my early days when the world of fashion was such a wonder. Although I actually found later jobs more fulfilling, Glamour is the one I go back to over and over. To have been a part of something that meant so much to so many...

To this day, when I tell people I worked for Glamour, there are nods of recognition and ooohs in wonderment. That magazine was important to almost four generations of women. How much we have changed in those 80 years!

The current editor, aiming to reach the millennials whose interest in fashion is only as a rebellious form of self expression, believes digital publishing is the way to go. The big difference is we read Glamour in hopes of becoming our best selves. This attempt smacks of hoping millennials will recognize themselves.

The past year of Glamour on the newsstands has been sad and embarrassing. I cringed when I saw a copy at the checkout counter. I'm almost glad it won't be there anymore. 

4 comments:

  1. I know! This is so sad. I was an avid Glamour reader for about 20 years, from about 1987 to 7-8 years ago. I stopped seeing myself in the magazine, and missed the bigger fashion spreads. It's so cool that you worked there, Michelle and that it made such an impression on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate to think that newspapers and magazines are becoming victims of our technological advances. Couldn't we all just get along???

      Delete
  2. My magazine career started around the time you left Glamour, Michelle, and I find every one of these closures gutting. I have younger friends who still appreciate print magazines and my hope is that they won't disappear entirely. Maybe they'll have a resurgence as more of a luxury than a monthly necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope that, as in fashion, everything comes back. Thanks for reading.

      Delete