Friday, August 2, 2019

Bullseye at Target


See the names on the squares above? Each one represents a collaboration with Target since 1999. FYI Isaac was first. At the time his further credibility as a designer was seriously challenged. Now being tapped for a Target collaboration is considered a "made it" moment.

Some of the partnerships have caused near riots. There was nothing left but swinging hangers at my local target after the first few hours of Missoni. Others have been more "meh". I still couldn't tell you what is "Hunter".

The merriment begins September 14.

Not to be taken lightly, Target is publishing "Target: 20 Years of Design for All: How Target Revolutionized Accessible Design" with Rizzoli, available for pre-order on September 3, and something about a documentary film to come. I hope there is footage of those swinging hangers.

2 comments:

  1. I think I have been in a Target once in my life. The smell of plastic and synthetics drove me out! I do see a few of the collaborations in thrift stores (the Philip Lim in particular, for some reason).

    I think Hunter are those rubber boots with the sock-style liners. They are very popular here on the West coast. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of all the "t" stores (Walmart, Target, K-Mart), Target is by far the best. Like IKEA, it's brought good design to the masses. Like to think that's not a "lead a horse to water" situation. Might you check it out online?

      Delete