Sunday, September 1, 2019

COS, You Make it Hard to Love You

 
COS stands for "Collection of Style" and was launched in 2007 by the H&M fashion group as their more sophisticated, more expensive older sister. It's the kind of clothing that looks like nothing on a hanger but can look like everything or still nothing when it's on you.

Where to start?

The clothing tends to be oversized or undersized, as am I in various places. This requires a lot of trying on, and I was tickled radish-root pink when a COS opened up in a collection of shops near me. I will take piles of lovely fabrics in understated shades and undetermined shapes into the fitting room and come out with a piece or two that I will really wear.

Not everything works

Whenever I do wear something from COS, however, I feel sophisticated, smart and more like the woman I hope to appear than I usually feel wearing anything else.

A few days ago I introduced a friend to the brand. We both found dresses we liked, neither one of which was available in our sizes at the store. The sales associate was very nice in writing down the style number and letting us know we could order them online.

Could they order for us? I know that usually saves on the shipping fee and gives credit for the sale to the store's bottom line. No, they don't do that.

I was able to order my dress online, but my friend was not. Sold out in her size. As a favor (since I feel responsible) I called a COS store in another town, one of only 20 in the US. They had it! But would not ship it. Could we pay for it and come pick it up? They won't take credit cards over the phone and would only hold it for 24 hours. COS has the dress, but won't sell it because...???

News flash! This is 2019. Stores are shuttering right and left. Barney's is in bankruptcy! Forever 21 just filed! Brick-and-mortar stores are finding their bricks crumbling as online shopping takes over.

Window dressing you never want to see

I work in retail and have dealt over time with enough about-faces in company policy to make your head spin. Strategically a company hopes to keep pace with changes in the marketplace. This is necessary, however much a nuisance "new rules" may seem. We know it's for our own good, as in protecting the existence of said company and our jobs along with it.

What is to be made of COS's very, well, 1999 approach to business? 

Never one to shy away from letting my opinion be known, I did indeed speak with someone from customer service. She very politely told me they were "always looking for ways to improve". It really was all I could do to keep from saying, "you are already five years behind the times." Then I realized I was talking to the wrong person.

So, president of COS North America, if you are reading this, don't bother reading between the lines. Read the lines. Make it easy to buy something. If the dress exists, sell it. Ship it. Take my credit card number over the phone. I've been hacked too many times already to do more than whimper, "What, again?"










4 comments:

  1. There is a COS very near me in NYC. I often walk by but only really shop when they have sales of 50 to 70%. I love the idea of their clothes but they rarely look good because they are so baggy. I know that's their look but it doesn't work on me. Maybe on someone a lot taller. That said, I have purchased a couple of dresses for about $15 on sale and a couple of striped shirts that I love. So I keep looking and hope I can find more great deals. They have several in Paris too. I often wonder how they stay in business because I don't see many people in the store except when they have a sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed——the sales are very attractive. Which makes it even odder they wouldn't make it possible for us to buy two dresses at regular prices. I wonder how they stay in business as well. Rents are high at this fancy shopping center. They may be a "loss leader" for H&M, which might really pay the bills.

      Delete
  2. That's ridiculous that they wouldn't transfer the dress to your local store - stores do that all the time! I also worked in women's retail (nearly 20 years ago!) and we NEVER had an issue with doing that. Seriously, 20 years ago a store would do this! What is wrong with that company?

    Even my local Fluevog will bring in shoes from another store (you have to pay for them up front, but there's no charge for shipping them to the local store), and that's a small Canadian brand!

    Sheesh, Michelle, what is the world coming to? Don't they want your business?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is nutty, isn't it? I still work in retail. We will do ANYTHING (legal and morally sound) to get a customer what she wants. BTW Fluevog is not that small a brand! I've certainly heard of them but didn't know they were Canadian.

      Delete