Wednesday, October 16, 2019

It Had to Happen: Anthropologie's Newest Shopping Idea



I've often joked I wish we could just rent our clothes. I love variety and am always tempted by the new. I've bought as many things I tire of quickly as pieces that last, and I am tired of that. Along comes Anthropologie with a new clothes rental service called Nuuly.

Full disclosure: I worked at Anthropologie for 12 years. My forte was being in the fitting room, guiding and suggesting. I was one of a half dozen associates brought to Philadelphia to develop the Personal Stylist program, and I'm proud to say I helped shepherd the program in its beginnings.

I never dreamed Anthro would come up with the various initiatives it has, from its brief stint in workout gear to its odd emphasis on beauty products, to eternal discounts (once as rare as hens' teeth) to offering plus sizes (formerly scorned upon). There have been some misses—the upscale Liefsdottier line and the BHLDN bridal line (still around but much altered).


The folks at Anthro central in Philadelphia have come up with another idea, and this sounds like a winner: Nuuly. It's a clothes rental service. I have no idea what the letters mean. Could it be "New You Truly"? Six pieces for $88. Wear them for a month with an option to buy or send them all back and pick out another six. No shipping or cleaning charges. Sounds too good to be true, BUT what a brilliant idea, and boy-oh-boy am I tempted.


If you've ever trolled the Anthropologie website you know how exhausting it can be. There is much more online, more than in stores. Some of it is quite pricey. Naturally those are the things I like. Nully has its own site for making selections. It's pretty extensive, featuring more Fashion pieces than Basics and including some of those pricier items.

One obvious downside is the usual one when buying clothes online: how will it look on you? One or two of your six choices will undoubtedly not make it on your back during the month. You will be out of luck if something needs shortening.


I worry about the company, too. They say you don't have to deal with cleaning or repairs. I assume all garments will be sent out newly refreshed. Does that mean part of the huge Urban campus will become a dry cleaning plant? Will you be advised not to drink red wine while wearing your white sweater? And is this truly a money-making proposition? $88 barely buys a t-shirt at Anthropologie. For those many thousands hooked on Anthro, will not that $88 satisfy the itch that might have been scratched spending so much more?


Will I try it? Well, as I said, I'm tempted, although I'm not lacking in clothes (an understatement). What I don't have is a five-days-a-week job or a dating life. n.b. I don't miss either. With a modicum of restraint, I think I'll pass.

When I was a little girl one of my favorite pastimes was leafing through my mother's catalogues and "choosing" what I would order. It was great fun to imagine going here or there wearing this or that. I must have spent hours pretending on rainy or winter afternoons. I have a feeling that's exactly what I will do with Nuuly.  



3 comments:

  1. Any chance you could do more Anthro. posts on how things fit, true colors on items, etc....I am 2.5 hrs. from the closest Anthro. store and as you said so hard to know on fit etc when buying on line. Plus I need an L or XL and often by the time an item is on the site, its sold out in the larger sizes. Most likely because they make far less of those sizes. I know they have plus now but those often are too big. Thanks in advance for at least considering this. If you know of any "Anthropologie centered" blogs, would be great to know about those too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably realize that Anthropologie carries a number of brands that are not their own. As with all women's clothing, sizes can vary wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer. This is true even among the Anthro brands, but it's safe to say they do not run large, more "true to size" or somewhat smaller. Popular Anthro brands are Angel of the North, Cartonnier, Elevenses, Ett;twa, Floreat, Maeve, Meadow Rue, Moth, Moulinette Soeurs, Odille, Pilcro, Saturday/Sunday, Sleeping on Snow, and Sparrow. The only Anthropologie centered blog I know of is "Effortlessly with Roxy" who in recent times has pulled away from being Anthro-exclusive, although she still does report on them. I hope that helps a little. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. good idea- now if they would have a line for SENIORS...

    ReplyDelete