Monday, May 11, 2020

To Shop or not to Shop?

Pandemonium at a reopened TJ Maxx
 
This question depends on where you live, what has opened up or is on the verge of doing so.

I recently conducted a straw poll and received as many varied answers as you might imagine. We are presently living in an un-united state.

Target seems to be the store of choice, mainly because all locations have been open during the pandemic. I haven't been myself, but I understand they are at least putting some precautions in place, such as limiting the amount of shoppers inside. It's easy to grab-and-go at Target, to pick up no-brainers like t-shirts. Many don't mind trying on at home and returning.

There are those who would love to just poke around a store to see what's new, but that's mostly a pipe dream. I understand as my week always included a run through the neighborhood TJ Maxx and Marshall's, places where inventory can change daily. That risk doesn't seem worth taking.

Those were the days...
 
One respondent said she would feel more comfortable in a boutique, just not in a mall. That behooves boutiques, usually small-staffed, to take on extra precautions of cleaning and maintenance. This, I think, will be necessary for the sake of attracting business and appealing to customers who may trust such an atmosphere over the big stores.

I read a newspaper article where Macy's stated they will effectively set up a 48-hour quarrantine for clothing tried on in fitting rooms. If my local Macy's is any indication, "Apparel Jail" will not look any different from the massive pile-up of go-backs one usually encountered outside the fitting rooms. You know, the kind of stack you wouldn't want to touch with a ten-foot pole, let alone a six-foot.   

One answer from hard-hit New York City had a plaintive "if only". New York is wisely still locked down. Stay strong, New Yorkers. It's also tough to stay strong here in Texas where things seem to be opening up like a house of cards in the wind. It's hard to "do the right thing" when so many around you have other ideas.

Shopping online for the forseeable future is getting some takers. If you think about it the dangers are still there. Someone may have tried that on anyways. The person who packed your delivery may not have been wearing a mask or gloves or may even have, heaven forbid, sneezed into your button-down. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. Besides, does anyone really know how long these virus germs last?


Then there are thrift stores, from tony consignment shops to rummage sales. Who's up for those? At this point, when we have so much, sometimes thrifting is a justifiable form of shopping for entertainment. From "something to think about" to "I would wash it anyways", reactions are mixed. I am pretty sure if it were me there would be gloves.

One light bulb has gone off in many closets: I don't need anything; I have more than I need already; I have things I've never worn; where am I going anyways?

Which reminds me, if you haven't seen it, Turner Classic Movies is showing a delightful romantic comedy from 1945 starring Wendy Hiller as a headstrong young woman with some surprises coming to her, "I Know Where I'm Going". It airs Tuesday, May 26 at 12:15 AM Eastern. I'll be there.




 


4 comments:

  1. I actually flinched when I first saw that pic of a TJ Max store! Hardly anyone wearing a mask and no attempt at social distancing. Can discounted clothes be so important
    right now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure whether it's the discount or just the shopping...maybe a little of both, but looking too desperate. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. Yes, I agree, I have more than I need already also. I was leaning more towards less stuff in general and will be more committed to that now. That said, I can't wait for my Nordstom to open up so I can browse handbags and try on Eileen Fisher which I will then stalk on the secondary market.
    The risk of infection seems more likely with people contact, than with touching things. With normal washing hands etc. precations. But I think it more will be difficult for vintage stores. I feel so bad for the small stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly know how you feel. We have all learned a lesson about "stuff", but that doesn't mean we still don't love to "shop".

      Delete