Monday, February 8, 2021

Sitting This One Out

 
You know you have reached a point in your fashionable life when you can say, "This trend's not for me." Is it grown-up or fed-up? I can't decide. 

Lately there have been a few more wacky trends than usual—the puffy sleeves and sister-wife collars immediately come to mind. I think I know why this is happening. These crazy ideas may just be fashion's answer to the nightmare when you wake up hysterical and someone throws a pail of cold water on you. Got your attention, didn't it?

The longer we are in the terrible, very bad year that is still Covid, the less I see the point of fashion. As we know, fashion and clothes are two different things. We still need clothes.

Once upon a time in fashion trends did not have such a bad rap. "Trend forecasting" meant that invariably what showed up in the crystal ball would make it to our backs or on our feet. A trend was the next fashion, and woe to the woman who ignored the trend.

Trends took on another life when a new fashion evolved from the wearers themselves. I am thinking of Narciso Rodriguez' slip dress wedding gown for Caroline Bessette Kennedy. Yes, he designed it, but it was her status as a celebrity and fashion icon that suddenly revolutionized the bridal wear industry.

We are now at Act Three. Trends seem to be manufactured by designers in hopes we will fall for the implied "be there or be square". We're not buying it, literally. We've all been burned before. 

Like I said, I'm not sure whether I'm finally mature enough or strong enough or just lazy enough not to embrace every trend, whether it looks good on me or not. Do I finally realize trend and fashion are not one and the same, that adopting the first does not lead to being in the second? What about style? Isn't that really the endgame after all?

All this popped into my head with the news that Simone Rocha will be unveiling a collaboration with H&M in March. British Vogue showed a sneak preview, and I thought here we go again. I will most definitely be sitting this one out.

Simone Rocha for H&M

  

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I just had a peek at the lookbook, and...I can't see people actually WEARING this stuff. It's the kind of thing I'll find in a thrift store in 5 years for $20.

    I'm still getting dressed up, almost every day. My Zoom calls are for my party clothes. I think the collars that are trendy are ridiculous, but I'm game for crazy shoulders.

    I hope that fashion evolves into something where people feel like they can wear whatever they want, the whole scale from Rocha to LL Bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Count yourself lucky that your life allows you reason to get dressed up...and stay healthy! All the best—

      Delete
    2. The only things I'm finding online that I can wear are jeans and leggings/"jogging pants." Tops are cropped and sweaters are either fitted or sloppy tunics. Enormous collars and puff sleeves - I can't see them on a fully grown woman. I think style will depend on basics and interesting accessories. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post. Grunge outfits

    ReplyDelete