Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Lovely to Look at

 
There is fashion I love to look at that for one reason or another I will never buy. It doesn't mean looking won't make me happy. This is where Fashion serves yet another purpose. I've seen them called "inspiration boards", but my collection mostly inspires daydreaming or reminiscing. And why not? Isn't that just another arm of the fashion goddess?

The latest edition to the folder I save on my desktop is this gorgeous patchwork African fabric coat dress, custom made to order by an Etsy shop called With Flare. I spotted one being carried off beautifully by a woman at the theater last Saturday night. At $270 (and reversible) it's quite the steal, but I can't ever see all 5'2" of me swanning around in it. PS I was an usher in required black with a name tag and scanning gun, not part of the swanning crowd.

With Flare alright...
 
This beauty is part of Roksanda Ilincic's autumn/winter 2022 collection just shown in London. Roksanda does produce interesting, wearable apparel that I've long coveted, but this one is strictly for dreaming.

More swanning required...
 
Joann's Fabrics has had this cotton yardage in stock for a while, but I can't think what I could make that I would actually wear. It may come down to sewing a pair of pajamas because I can't stop thinking about it.

$8.99 per yard
 
This vintage shot reminds me how utterly and completely timeless beautiful fashion can be. I don't believe there has been a year since its 1950's origins that this wouldn't look stunning.

 
No idea how or why I ever came across this contemporary sweatshirt depicting the long-shuttered Moors restaurant in Provincetown. There were no t-shirts the summer I worked there, 1964. I don't even remember this logo, but seeing the sweatshirt brings back a Portuguese-fishing-boat-load of memories. In fact we waitstaff were required to wear our own t-shirts as uniforms. They were required to be wide-striped so the martinet of an owner could see us across the cavernous room. My stripes were never wide enough to suit her. I may have only just turned 21 but at 5'2" I knew to wear stripes in proportion to my size.

Long Lost Vintages Tees

Finally, I almost think I could pull this off, giant bow and all. I just need someplace to wear it...



No comments:

Post a Comment