Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Good as Gold


When GAP shows gilded jeans, The NY Times catches the stylish-in-the-street wearing gold apparel, and designers start dipping their ware in gold, what are we thinking? Gold has never not been a thing, of course, from ancient Egypt to James Bond, but this is more gold than I've seen in a while.

Chanel, Gucci, Kors SS/23

I'll go out on a gold olive branch and say Madame predicts gold is the next big trend. Full disclosure: I just picked up a cropped golden jacket that I can longer wear (too warm), but I had to have it.

Will hang in wait of cooler temps...

Is it odd that coming off sweats 24/7 for a few years, the hip new look would be one of the world's most precious metals? Styling has to be ironic though—gold jeans for day, not so much gold spangles for night (that's always okay).  PS Those jeans are on back order till April 24. See what I mean?

The GAP jeans

Once upon a time I did have a pair of gold loafers. Eventually the "gold" flaked off. My carpet was something of a shiny mess. Today's gold fabrication is amazing. You could almost call it liquid gold.


So why not silver, you may ask? Well, no one minds looking like the Bond girl (despite her unpleasant demise), but who wants to look like the tin man?



 

3 comments:

  1. Ugh, just when I’m finding silvery tones more flattering to my gray hair. 😭

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have gold leather pants, bought from Free People in Portland, Oregon in the fall of 2019 - so it's not like they've been absent entirely! I also have silver trousers (very old H&M).

    I have never seen anyone in public wearing stuff like this - will it actually make it down to the grassroots?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila, you can wear them in public, no? Then others will follow!

    ReplyDelete