Thursday, June 16, 2016

Friends With Style: Linda

Linda in the mood at Mood Fabrics

The first time I met Linda my reaction was, "Oh my gosh— it's Diane Keaton!". Sure enough, Linda has the bright, outgoing personality of Diane in the best of her rom-com roles. She has that quirky Keaton style of dressing (without the oddball gloves and ankle socks). Although her own style is Very Linda, Diane Keaton had a hand in it.

I haven't known Linda long, so my interview tries to put her style in context of its development with some tips on finding (and keeping) your own style.

AIF: How would you define your style?
LW: Creative classic with a twist

AIF: When did you know you had one?
LW: I didn't become comfortable with my style until my late '50s/early '60s. Before then my style was Corporate America. It wasn't an "aha moment", more an evolution as I was drawn to black and white with pops of color.

AIF: What do you say to women who may be timid or afraid to try something new?
LW: Try something on with a friend who will tell you the truth, really. And you need to feel good in it— like the way you look— or don't buy it.

AIF: How did your love of fashion evolve?
LW: As a teenager I used to design clothes in boring classes. My mother and grandmother always sewed. I did too, but I've never sewn anything since I got my first job.

AIF: What was your worst fashion faux pas?
LW: I went through a very cliched red-white-and-blue period, even matching my husband!

AIF: Who has been your biggest fashion influence?
LW: It actually was Diane Keaton. When I found out she wore all her own clothes while filming "Annie Hall", I felt permission to be more quirky.  I met her last year and mentioned people often think I look like her. She didn't exactly agree but told me, "You look great".

The resemblance is uncanny


Even their fathers looked alike
 
AIF: What are your favorite places to shop?
LW: I love the treasure hunt of consignment shops and TJ Maxx' The Runway. It's not as much fun to pay full price. I also love to check out consignment shops in foreign cities like London and Paris.

AIF: I'm thinking you are an accessories maven. What are your favorites?
LW: Scarves, bracelets, purses and colored glasses. I have red, green, black and tortoise frames. 
(Note: Just the other day I ran into Linda in The Dollar Store where she had found an amazingly cool pair of black and white checked readers)

AIF: I mostly see you in black and white with pops of bright color. Am I right-- no earth tones and no pastels?
LW: No earth tones or pastels. My favorite pops are green, blue, coral and oddball citron yellow.

AIF: Carry-on or steamer trunk? Do you pack a little or a lot?
LW: Depends where I'm going. I'll do carry-on for New York City. I like the challenge to be creative with just a few pieces. But I'll pack a lot when it makes sense, and I'm not carrying the luggage.

AIF: What do you have too much of in your wardrobe?
LW: White blouses

AIF: What are you always looking for?
LW: Scarves

AIF: We live in an almost season-less climate here in Houston. How do you mark the change of seasons in your wardrobe?
LW: I just dress in more layers and really don't wear a lot of white after October. I think of black and white stripes as Summer.
(Note: Linda grew up in central Florida so is kind of used to this) 

AIF: What's your favorite everyday go-to outfit?
LW: Black pants, white shirt or blouse, pop of color in a purse, cardigan or shoe

AIF: What's your favorite special occasion outfit?
LW: I don't like dressing for special occasions, but I do have a red dress I like that I'll wear with a black shrug.

AIF: What trend will you never wear?
LW: Ruffles and lace

AIF: What was your "best buy"?
LW: A citron yellow Burberry skirt found at a department store sale. I've never seen another one like it. 

AIF: What are the fashion pieces you can't live without?
LW: 
> oversized white shirt
> skinny black pants
> black Fly London wedges
> a black, white or citron skirt
> black and white polka dot Mary Quant scarf
> multiple bracelets or a big cuff
> black fitted t-shirt
> black and white checked shirt
> a flirty dress

AIF: If you could pick an era, other than one in which you lived, based on its style, which would it be?
LW: The 1920s as that was the break out to be free, flirty and have fun.

AIF: I could not resist this. How often do people think you're Diane Keaton, and how often do you let them believe you are?
LW: Once every week or two. I thank them but never let them believe I am.

AIF: Any last words of wisdom?
LW: Fashion is fun and became even more so after 50. Sometimes it's the most fun I have all day!

Art imitating life


1 comment:

  1. I identify strongly with the too many white shirts statement! Fascinating to learn that Diane Keaton wore all her own clothes for 'Annie Hall' - I loved them!

    ReplyDelete