Friday, November 1, 2019

The Brooch is Back!

 
I don't know how to broach the subject without committing this truly terrible pun, but the brooch is back.

Brooches, often with matching earrings and necklaces, were a thing in the '50s:


The more sophisticated didn't go quite so overboard:


Small brooches, called "scatter pins" were prized by teens, and this pre-teen amassed a few. They were cheap to buy with my allowance and could personalize a wardrobe mostly decided on by my mother. Scatter pin sets were especially coveted:


Enough with the nostalgia. Brooches have had their moments here and there, most recently about ten years ago when I just didn't feel "dressed" without adding a pin. Fortunately I never got around to cleaning out that stash because they could be making a return.

This mannequin in a holiday mood greeted me in Macy's today. What at first looks like one bonanza of a brooch is really six pins "brooched" together. What a neat idea, and providing it doesn't weigh down my shoulder, I'm going to try it.


6 comments:

  1. After discovering Madeline Albright's book "Read my Pins" a few years back, I tried brooches for awhile. Maybe my California clothes are too light, but I felt like there were always in the way. But if you like brooches, read the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about Madeline Albright and her brooches! Now she can wear them in bunches! I'll check out her book, thanks.

      Delete
  2. scatter pins.....oh my god i remember lady bug shaped ones...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have some of my scatter pins. One favorite is a mouse with red "jewel" eyes and a long, flexible tail. It sounds scary but it's not. A good place to find brooches is estate sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have held onto several brooches from as far back as the 80s. I've even got a couple that used to belong to my Gran. I'm going to get them all out and wear them again! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be fun to gang them up and see what you can create. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete