Friday, April 17, 2020

How Chic is Your Mask?


I never thought I would be seeing this, let alone writing about it, but I noticed two women in the supermarket today who looked so fabulous in their social-distancing masks, I had to stop and tell them (from a safe distance of course).

Me, I was wearing my bandana-and-a-rubber-band mask, baseball cap and no makeup. Who could tell who I possibly WAS? (one benefit of all this cover-up-ing). I felt emboldened to compliment them, as one so often does become more chatty when in disguise.

I didn't get up the nerve to ask for a photograph, but one was wearing a pink-and-white gingham mask with strips of white appliqued flowers along the side pieces. She had a black pixie haircut and bold, black eyeglass frames helping to keep the mask in place. I didn't notice what else she was wearing because she looked so cute from the neck up.

The second woman, a statuesque African-American, had on a sweeping caftan dress in one long swath of mustardy-olive. Her hair was pulled back; the mask was a deep-colored African print (which she said she made herself), and she was wearing one killer pair of false eyelashes.

Whatever glorious pictures you have in your head, keep them there. These women looked—dare I say—stunning and appropriate. And who looked like Glamour Dont's? The few women not wearing masks.

Is there some new chic afoot? Will it no longer be okay to just wear a mask? Will the well-dressed woman get points for coordinating her look with her outfit? This will either give me a new push to get creative or another reason never to leave my house.


2 comments:

  1. GOTTA HAVE A WARDROBE OF MASKS...and here's the thing, the more you get, the sooner you won't need them- it's a law of nature. you wash the car, it rains. you buy the cat that special food and --- well you know that drill. basic mask would be black and white checks ( think vans) or black and white stripes. the inevitable dog face is fine too... but match your mask to your outfit- pretend it's a hat that slipped down... or a turtle neck that slipped UP...



    ReplyDelete
  2. Being that I am naturally reclusive the idea of wearing fashionable protective masks would probably never occur to me if I wasn't also a reader of fabulous fashion blogs like yours.
    I love your descriptions of the masks being worn by other fashionistas you encountered.
    Although in this time of coronavirus we may be leaving the house less frequently, I can imagine the creative urge catching on.

    my blog
    my YouTube
    my Twitter

    ReplyDelete