Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Two Stylish Sisters


The Sartorialist has asked for vintage photos for his blog. I sent him this some time ago. Though he hasn't used it, I think it's worth including in my blog now.
I love this photo of my mother Ida (on the right) at age 20 and her older sister Sally, not only because I see a young woman I never knew, but here are two decidedly middle class young women (Sally was a teacher and my mother a struggling commercial artist), dressed to the nines in the latest styles of the day (1927) without a touch of pretension or irony. How did they know to put that all together? This photo is from an album of deliciously happy young people wearing flapper dresses and raccoon coats and tennis whites. So people really did dress that way...

No comments:

Post a Comment