Thursday, August 23, 2018

Bad Mood Board

 
While waiting for the resounding thud of the September issues to hit my doorstep, I have had a sneak peak of fall fashion, and it's definitely putting me in a bad mood. Fashion magazines—that includes advertisements and editorial—are increasingly taking me places I don't want to go, down ugly street, and I don't know why.

Fashion editorials have long indulged in some fantasy and interpretation. That's fine as long as what they show has even a hint of being wearable. Grace Coddington earned her well-deserved reputation as a stylist for Vogue by creating some of the most elaborate examples. Who doesn't want to be Alice in Wonderland at least once?


Truth be told I've always enjoyed the ads as much if not more than the editorials. I'm a shopper, and I want to know what I can really buy. This year, though, I don't think I want any of it.

Last week the Sunday New York Times Style magazine unleashed its women's fashion issue. I don't want to look like this, do you?


The ads were not much better. I'm disappointed in you, Michael Kors and Calvin Klein, not the least bit surprised, Gucci and Prada.


Lighten up, you say? No one expects us to mimic these looks, but I can't help thinking, "What if we did?" Isn't there enough crazy disarray in our world today to welcome some pretty or at least some calm? I say let's try.

8 comments:

  1. BRAVO--- i found that issue beyond disappointing. what is inspirational on those pages- NOTHING. nothing that can translate into my closet and i have a pretty open-minded closet. can't imagine what they hope to sell. feh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wholeheartedly agree. As much as I adore Joan Didion,it seemd like Celine tried to make her as unatractive as possible and for years I've been shaking my head at Marc Jacobs ads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this proto-ugly approach isn't new, but it's gone beyond rebellion. To quote from "Flower Drum Song", I enjoy being a girl!

      Delete
  3. Awesome piece of information! May I reference part of this on my blog if I post a backlink to this webpage? Thx.
    This is too guide. I must say I enjoy scanning this alot. It can help me to get better knowledge of about the subject. It is all well and good written. I shall definitely see these Maryum N Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great article. I can see why clothing manufacturers would approve of the "wear five coats at one time layered look" but I wouldn't recommend it to older women, like me -- unless starring in a sanity hearing sounds like fun....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious photos. Living in France, I've had quite a positive reaction to the new collections now in shop windows. I think, "Great! Look at all the money I'll save, not buying anything this year."

    ReplyDelete