Sunday, March 31, 2019

The Closet Kondo-conundrum

Twiggy in my closet would be a keeper

It's an old story. Come Spring every woman's fancy turns to what to fancy. The stores are full of shiny objects for this magpie to covet. The styles may not be so different from seasons past, but all is tweaked a bit and looks desirable.

I want it all, and I want it now.

The past ten years I've honed my wardrobe to reflect who I think I am. I'm not tempted to follow every fad for fad's sake. I've thrown things out that don't work and really gotten better about buying them in the first place. Semi-retired, I now have a bit of expendable income that doesn't have to go for college tuition or heating oil.  I'm not extravagant. My favorite store still starts with a "T" and ends with a "Maxx." I have more time to bargain hunt and comparison shop and do.

Wait a minute, Marie...

There are many nice things in my closet. While I may still enjoy wearing them, they're old. The bloom is off the rose. The dew is off the morning glory. The thrill is gone. Is that a reason to buy more?

I've got to think the answer is yes. And here's why:

> It's important to be relevant. You don't want to be advertising your expiration date like a carton of yogurt. Some things just scream SUMMER 2015!!! Sporting a (flattering) new trend keeps your style up to date.

> New clothes are a blank slate. Old clothes have a history, and not always a good one. There's nothing wrong with the blue and white striped shirt except I was wearing it during a family argument that shouldn't have happened. We made up, but I still see the day on that shirt.

When considering whether it will come home with me, I think about when I will wear it. The more I can justify it, the more likely I am to buy it. I still believe in being prepared.

> Old clothes have earned their keep. I have a silk blouse I've worn for years. That top was expensive. If nothing else it's earned its keep and doesn't have to be the only blouse I love.

Just because it's old doesn't mean you should give it away. And just because you've had it forever doesn't mean you have to keep it. Remember we're talking about clothes here, folks, not relationships. The older those are, the better.

> Who doesn't like something new? There is joy in snipping off the tags before you wear something for the first time, definitely a little feeling of accomplishment. You looked for it. You found it. You bought it. You are happy to welcome it into your life starting today. Chances are you have never thought about this, but isn't it a little bit true?

The key to the puzzle is knowing when to say goodbye. It's always harder to let go than to welcome something new. This is where Marie Kondo could be on to something. 



2 comments:

  1. we thrift shop volunteers are always proud of how we integrate the old( read: donated) with what we already have. proudly saying: i got it here, and happy to get the response- you can't tell....it's so YOU...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s an art form for sure and can’t be taught!

      Delete