Thursday, April 25, 2019

Do You Spot a Trend Here?


TJ Maxx is not known for its visuals, so when my local TJ's received a huge shipment of cross-body bags, how else to display them? This was only a third of the length of wall; you can imagine what an impression those bags made. Like, is this a trend???

I think yes.

Cross-body bags are nothing new, of course. They started as the practical way to tote a  big old messenger bag around and save your shoulders.

What's the message?

Over time cross-body bags got smaller, the size of a normal handbag. This became a neat way to carry a bag while freeing up your hands.

A handy idea
 
I discovered the ease of a cross-body bag a few years ago. It was to be an on-the-go-no-lolling-around-the-pool vacation and required an adjustment to the giant, heavy leather tote I usually hauled around. My cross-body was strictly utilitarian, made of lightweight nylon with zippered compartments and two zippered pockets. This was a revelation. It was amazing how much could fit in such a small space (and how little I really needed).

Glad to be freed-up

The latest crop of cross-body bags are smaller still. What else do we need save a phone, a credit card, a lipstick and some Tic-Tacs?

As seen in Paris...

So while they're not new, this year they seem to be A Thing. I'll bet TJ Maxx hopes so.

No comments:

Post a Comment