Thursday, June 13, 2019

So Right It's Sarong

 
I love nothing more than a good play on words, but that's not the only reason for this blog. Could the sarong be the next trend?

Sarongs, or variations on the name, are worn by both men and women in Indonesia, Malayasia, Singapore, Sri Lanka and the Indian subcontinent. Patterns, colors and ways of tying can vary, but the sarong is a single length of fabric that becomes a lower garment. We dare not call it a skirt.

On the road again with Bing and Bob

My earliest encounter with a sarong was the Hollywood version, popularized in films with exotic locales. I'm willing to bet it was one of the Bing Crosby/Bob Hope "Road" movies that often featured Dorothy Lamour wearing a sarong. She became known as "The Sarong Girl" following her 1936 movie debut in "The Jungle Princess", wearing a sarong designed by Edith Head.

The jungle princess

You will note that Dorothy's sarong covered top as well as bottom. I wonder what came first—Edith Head's sarong or the bath towel?


But I am getting off subject. 2019's sarong trend just may be a sarong worn over pants or worn as a skirt with a button down or blouse. Street-style not beach-style. I love the idea...

...and on Bella it looks good.



4 comments:

  1. I like the idea of it - in practical terms...not so much. Anything wrap-around tends to gape when one is walking or climbing stairs or sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came to give you a high five!

    Regards
    Pashmina

    ReplyDelete