Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Basics are Boring



The clear-out-the-closet countdown is drawing near. Fall may not be in the air, but it's filling up the shops and my mailbox (as those September issues trickle in). Autumn is always a state of mind here in Houston, but it's hard to avoid, what with Halloween decorations already in Marshall's and trick-or-treat candy in Kroger's.

I swear they're bringing out last year's candy, but that can't be proven.

Everyone always says (a loaded statement) you need to have Good Basics to build a wardrobe. Without Basics you will never have the backbone you need, the pieces you can depend on and where being well-dressed begins. Following this declaration is always A List. And that list is boring. In fact, "basic" to me stands for Boring All Simple In Closet.

My basics are not your basics. I don't wear white t-shirts or white button-down shirts. I hate jeans. Blazers leave me blah. Athletic shoes are for the gym or trekking to Petra. Trench coats are so not "me" anymore. My little black dress is for funerals, and thank goodness it gets worn rarely.

I tried...

Let's rethink the whole Basics idea. If you need a label, call them Staples. Staples are what YOU need to get through your day (and night). Figuring out who you are is a life-long journey. It's pretty obvious we shed many skins along the way. You probably don't need much of what you wore at age 20 or maybe even last year. Consider re-evaluating your wardrobe a worthy exercise.

OK, maybe one you kind of dread too.

I now know (and this is just me) the staples in my wardrobe are black t-shirts. The shapes change over time. They used to be tight-fitting and from the GAP. Now they are looser and more like tunics from J Jill. But they are necessary to how I put things together. I love a black top with a patterned bottom or a bright color. Come autumn the black t-shirt staple turns into the black sweater. They are needed under a fun jacket or 3/4 coat (my answer to a blazer). Black pants are my "jeans". There are so many hanging in my closet I tag the hangers to know what the silhouettes are. Black flats are my footwear of choice. They run the gamut from ballet slippers to wedges to studded evening mules, but they're all black. I have a couple of raincoats I actually enjoy wearing. Not one of them is a trench.

Now we're talking...

These (and others) are the pieces I check on each season. I make sure they're in working order, not run down at the heels, not having shrunk in the closet (as those pants are wont to do). They are my basics.

For me, buying another perfect white shirt is a waste of money and a waste of the time it took to find it. You see where I'm going.

Your challenge, if you wish to take it, is to think about what you depend on. And before the season's new frippery gets you all a-flutter, make sure those pieces are the best they can be. They are fashion's foot soldiers and will take you far. 



7 comments:

  1. That's interesting that your Staples are black items. I've just started coming around to more black in my wardrobe - I'm mostly a colours person and a patterns person, but I've come to realize that when I want to wear that statement necklace/skirt/blouse/anything! that a black item is the perfect backdrop for it. I don't own a white t-shirt...but I also don't own a black one!

    I can see the allure of basics - like a black trouser or skirt - although for me, even those items have to be special. My black pants, for example: I have two pairs only. One is a very oddly-shaped (almost a balloon leg!) pair of high-waisted See by Chloe; the other is a classic black boot-cut leather trouser (yes, leather!). I refuse to have anything in my closet that is too similar to something else I own - I love variety!

    I'm always amused by those lists, and usually think, "Well, they have not seen MY closet!"

    Thanks for your fun posts, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that got you thinking, Sheila. Your wardrobe sounds personal and fun to work with.

      Delete
  2. I seriously live in black tees. Love your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Just in case it wasn't clear: basics are important, yes, but everyone's basics are unique.

      Delete
  3. I share the same ideas on staples , mine are always black , adding colour if the mood takes me. I dont own a white tshirt or jeans either. Buy what you love and you will wear it forever is my motto.Many thanks for commenting on my blog, so pleased to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the reminder that my basics should be tailored for me. I just stocked up on nice black pants and was feeling a little guilty (even if I did get a great deal on Eileen Fisher on ebay), but it's who am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes discipline to buy basics rather than the fun stuff. Good for you!

      Delete