Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Where Oh Where Could I Wear Them?


Just in time for holiday dressing comes a collaboration between H&M and Giambattista Valli. Please let that name roll over your tongue a few times out loud. It's the essence of all that's beautiful and Italian. Would that I had a few fancy-dress engagements on the social calendar...


I first discovered GBV in 2011 when he was a rising design star and did a collection for Macy's Impulse brand. I picked up a silk leopard evening coat for $100 and have not regretted it for a second. It spends more time in the closet than on me, but I love looking at it.


GBV has since made a name for himself dressing the red carpet. His looks are ethereal, not meant for every day. The point of getting dressed up, after all, is to look special and GBV is a master at crafting the fanciful.


Personally my life is on more of a practical path. Saturday nights are likely to be at our favorite Mexican cantina or babysitting our toddler grandson in front of the impossible-to-operate Apple TV. We do go to the theater, but we volunteer as ushers and must wear head-to-toe black. Besides, I have more special occasion clothes in my closet that I could possibly have special occasions for.


But what is fashion if not to dream? These are dreamy clothes at prices a bit elevated for H&M but way below the market price of today's GBV. I've sprinkled a few of my favorites in the blog. The whole collection launches November 7.

Deepika Padukone on the red carpet in GBV




3 comments:

  1. This looks like a cool collaboration! I'm not terribly into the women's looks, but I LOVE that tails jacket for the men - my husband would totally wear that.

    You should wear your silk leopard coat more, Michelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are also some men's looks in the collection. I think the tails coat is meant to be unisex! I will take your advice, Sheila——especially since this is such a big year for leopard!

      Delete
  2. I appreciate you writing
    this article and the rest of the website is very good.

    ReplyDelete