Thursday, April 9, 2020

Tone Deaf During Covid 19?

 
Any place I've ever bought anything from is sending me emails, lots and lots of emails. I've learned to ignore those missals from Banana Republic, Old Navy, the Gap, Carter's, Ann Taylor, J Crew, DSW, H&M, J Jill, etc., but now they are beginning to feel wrong.

I've not Unsubscribed because eventually I will want to know what's happening out there. I don't bother to open them; I just delete from the inbox. I can't help seeing that first line as I do. Over time those emails are feeling more tone deaf and more desperate.

"Comfy clothes for this special time!" I don't need any more comfy clothes, thank you. I especially don't need them without a pay check coming in. I don't need a "wardrobe refresh" or a "personal online shopper".

I've also received a few tailored to me by local store managers. I will refrain from mentioning which stores to save them any embarrassment, but I do NOT want a video consultation or a curbside pickup to get new clothes. Do you not understand?

I am not going anywhere. I am not doing anything except trying to stay healthy. I know you are feeling desperate. I work in retail and, I don't have a job anymore. I have zero confidence that I will ever have one again. Now is not the time to buy what can't be consumed, read, listened to, played, or wiped with.

I understand your plight. Clothes are a need or a pleasure in our lives. Fashion has always been the stuff of angels' wings. I feel your pain (do I ever!), but I don't want to see you sweat. Leave me my illusions (which means being very, very quiet) or treat me like a good friend.

Tell me you understand how we are all feeling. Let me know you want me to be safe and healthy and that you look forward to seeing me again soon. Send me a sweet thought but not a 60% discount coupon. I'll still be your friend. 

7 comments:

  1. totally understand but the shopping jones runs DEEP in my bones and i must say i did buy earrings...and by the way i DRESS every day as tho i was going to see someone important that day---MYSELF IN THE MIRROR... I DO NOT LET MY STANDARDS DOWN... not for a virus!!! now trying to figure out how to decorate my yellow polkadot mask!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect some push-back on this blog. I'm also keeping up standards and dressing both for me and in consideration of my roommate. But shopping for apparel or accessories? I suspect that gene may be in lockdown too.

      Delete
  2. Much as I miss shopping, I'm not doing any kind of online shopping during this. Instead, I'm saving my usual discretionary budget in a separate account, and when stores open again, I plan on spending it all on local brick-and-mortar businesses.

    It pains me to see these companies struggle, but some of those huge chains can handle it better than my downtown locally-owned businesses. I want to support those!

    And frankly, I have a huge wardrobe, so I am not wanting for clothes. Shopping suddenly feels like a luxury instead of a "right", you know?

    I'm sorry to hear you lost your job, Michelle. My company gave me the option of reducing my hours or taking voluntary lay-off (the Canadian government has a subsidy program), and I chose reduced hours. I'm aware of how fortunate I am that my husband and I will not suffer (no mortgage, just regular bills).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments, Sheila. As usual they are thoughtful and well written. I applaud you for wanting to he,p brick-and-mortars get on their feet again. And the idea of something to look forward to when this is over is a great survival tip! Please don't feel bad about my losing the job.

      I'm technically "on furlough" as all retail has been shuttered. Supposedly I will have a job again; the question is when. And I'm not alone by a long shot.

      I'm sure I'll find things to write about. Fashion has such a history that is always resurfacing. I just can't get too excited about "new", and I wish I wasn't being bombarded by so many tone-deaf emails!
      : > )

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear about your job. I know a lot of people who are out of work right now, my husband included. As one of the very fortunate ones who, so far, still has a job and can work from home, I'm making what small efforts I can (while staying mindful about our financial situation). For instance, I bought a gift card from our local independent bookshop, which is akin to giving them a loan they'll repay when their doors are open again for regular commerce. I'm worried about how the virus will reshape our neighborhoods and communities; none of us wants to see the shops, restaurants etc. that give our cities character and provide income for their workers disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern, but I'm only one of many millions in retail "on furlough". We are all hopeful to be working again at the right time (see above).

      You are thoughtful and lovely to support your local book store with a "forgivable loan". This crisis is bringing out the best in so many people.

      Stay safe and well!

      Delete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more. None of us needs anything at the moment that isn't essential for comfortable survival. I really don't feel sorry for the fast fashion companies either (except for the people that may lose their jobs) as they have become bloated and greedy. I'm hoping that one of the positive outcomes of this time will be that we all realise how much stuff we already have and learn to appreciate it. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete