Saturday, May 2, 2020

Life Along the Amazon During a Pandemic


I'm not meaning life along the Amazon River here. We are talking about life along the Amazon delivery truck route, and let me tell you its been a life saver.

Perhaps I should rephrase that. Staying sequestered, venturing out gingerly and carefully, may be saving my life. Amazon has done wonders for my sanity.

Nowadays the mail can't be expected to hold any surprises. The bills are paid automatically from my checking account. Magazines are getting delivered with the newspaper. No one writes anymore, not even a greeting card. I'm as guilty as anyone, and it can't be blamed on the pandemic.

The sight of that Amazon truck? Since mid-March I have ordered so much online it's a rare day I don't get a delivery of something. What have I been buying? Well, it's not just sheer laziness or even fear keeping me from the store.


We got a new kitten right before lock-down. Sidney requires canned kitten food. My local supermarket doesn't really stock those little tins of tasty tidbits. Where once I would not have minded the chore, I'm not about to run all over town even for Sidney. Amazon delivers.

Who's wearing much makeup? I'm not. But I do feel more human with lipstick. I'm pretty good with a lipstick brush and a deep coral color, but for now it's a swipe of a color so pale using a brush would be a waste of effort. While it's still creamy, this tube is so old no one stocks it anymore. I found one (yes one) on Amazon, and I'm not too embarrassed to order one tube of lipstick.


Books! The library is still closed. I have 496 unread books in my house, but when someone tells me about a great book they've read, well, you know what has to happen. I love getting books from Amazon because they come practically the next day.


Finally found my favorite faux-Birkenstocks in white plastic. I was looking for those all last summer as the perfect pool shoe. They turned up on Amazon. All I need now is the pool.


And so it goes. I've stocked up on vinyl gloves. The box I bought six weeks ago for $9.99 now sells for $24.99, but at least its available.

If we're in this for the long haul disposable masks just seem cleaner than scarves and bandanas. I don't think I'm going to bother matching my masks to my outfits—or even to my face. Amazon has them.

 
I wish I hadn't heard troubling news that Amazon isn't supplying their workers with protective gear. I understand the company is now investing in that, to the point where Jeff Bezos warned stockholders not to expect a profit this year despite how much Amazon seems to be raking in. He personally donated $100 million to food banks around the country. I hope this is just the beginning.

I'm still not a fan of online fashion shopping in general. I bought a shirt from Banana Republic Factory Store in two sizes, but neither fit. Shipping was not free, either, but I sent them back, only to receive my bill with no credit for the return. When I called customer service I was told that instead of the usual 15 days to process returns, the company can now take 30. Meanwhile I should pay my bill or face a fine. Fortunately I was able to convince the rep leaving me with a credit on a Banana Republic card was not acceptable. It's the hassle that continues to sour me on most online shopping. Say what you will about the behemoth, Amazon is hassle-free.

First responders, doctors, nurses, grocery store workers, scientists looking for cures and vaccines? You have my undying gratitude. Amazon? I gotta say you have my thanks.

1 comment:

  1. I've just rediscovered my kindle, but I much prefer a 'real' book in my hands so I'm enjoying re-reading old favourites. A zoom book club meeting coming up!

    ReplyDelete