Friday, June 12, 2020

Sleeping Beauty and Dr. Fauci

 
Dear Virginia, Jill, Suzy, Linda, Pat, Arnita, Sheila or whoever you are,

Yes, there is still Fashion.

As my mind is spluttering around these days Fashion is less like a letter to the New York Sun than a fractured version of the fairy tale "Sleeping Beauty". Fashion is the slumbering princess waiting for a shot in the arm from the handsome prince, Dr. Fauci. She will awaken (refreshed and looking ten years younger) with someplace to go and a reason to get dressed.

Man of my dreams...

With my real life on hold, I feel less like Sleeping Beauty and more like the troll who lives under the bridge. I have to believe that day will come. It breaks my heart to take little joy in what was one of my major life forces, up there with air, food and water.


I can't get excited about a wardrobe of masks to coordinate with my clothing. The only thing sadder than everyone wearing masks is that everyone isn't wearing a mask.
 
Still, I dream about what I might wear when I go...where? I check to see if my appetite perks up on some of my favorite shopping sites (not so much). I'll even try to snag a bargain or try something new.*  I do know getting dressed—not dressed up, just dressed—makes me feel better. There are so few reasons to do it and so little discipline to do it without reason. Please tell me I am not alone.

Day 91. Still healthy. Missing you all.


*I'm sorry to report the drawstring neck from the last blog's caftan is strangling me.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Michelle! I'm still dressing up! It's been one of the best things I've done for myself these past 3 months, even if I don't leave the house. I've been very fortunate that my city has not been hard-hit (I think there's been 1 death in the region, total). I have collected a bunch of masks, but I hardly see anyone, even though I still go into my office 3 days a week. There are a couple of guys on another floor that I inflict my fashion upon, ha ha.

    Sorry to hear about your caftan! That sucks that it's strangling you! Businesses here were not mandated for closure, and a couple of consignment stores stayed open, so I have shopped a bit here and there, but am mostly shopping my closet these days.

    I hope you get your fashion mojo back! I would love to see an outfit post from you - what about a fantasy outfit, like "What I'll Wear To the Theater"?

    Stay safe, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila (and I hope you caught the shout-out in the blog). How lucky that you have been barely hit. Does that make it harder to understand what many are going through? Here in Texas things are opening up, and new cases are higher than ever. Very frustrating.

      Delete
  2. Yes, to all of it. I am so over this. I am still working, but aside from seeing the plumbers I work for only a few minutes at the start of day, I am all alone at work. It was fine to dress like I'm going to yoga for a few weeks, but I am so tired of that.
    I am dressing a little more normally the last two weeks and it helps with my mood. It will be so great when we can have our old lives back safely, but maybe greener and smarter and kinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one can give us any assurances this will be over soon, but it helps to admit we are fatigued. Promise me you will still be vigilant to stay safe.

      Delete
    2. Absolutely, all signs point to this being nowhere near done. Sigh.

      Delete