Thursday, December 31, 2020

Goodbye and Good Riddance


Saying goodbye to the year is often wistful. Most years have highs that surpass any lows. Even a year when bad things happened can redeem itself by our efforts to overturn them. Not this year. We were "all in it together", a place no one wanted to be.

We still got dressed, but not as usual. We learned things about ourselves as garment-wearing homo sapiens. The question remains: Is it still fashion if no one sees you, or is it only clothes?

> I always felt better when I got dressed up, but I had to have a reason. A trip to the post office or grocery store or even curbside pickup at the library was reason enough to see if I could pull together an outfit and apply makeup. 

> I actually got a little better at the makeup thing. I took my time and even experimented with new colors and techniques.

> I learned I have too many clothes that I don't wear and STILL can't get rid of.

> I faced the fear of letting my red hair fade to gray. I was afraid what it would look like growing out and afraid I would hate the end result. Well, fear struck out. Watching it evolve has been my own little science project. I even like having four different shades from white to blonde to grey to brunette. Where did that latter even come from???

> I shopped online more than ever before. Mostly I stuck with brands I knew for their quality and fit and returned more than I kept, but it was fun, SO much fun, waiting for the packages to arrive.

> My purchases were for the most part hopeful, not practical. Yes I bought socks, but I'm not sorry I have a few new blouses and dresses hanging unworn but waiting for their next act...just like me.

WELCOME IN, 2021!


 


4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Michelle! Thanks for all the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again, Sheila, thanks for reading and for all your great comments. Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  2. Oh my this year. I am also happy to have a couple of cute new things in my closet to look forward to wearing. And I’m glad you are happy with your evolving hair, not so sure about mine. The gray is awkwardly placed around my face and I seem to have less hair. Yuck. A really good cut could do wonders when I can get one. I hope your new year is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still getting used to the me with the gray hair, but when we all emerge from our chrysalis it might be fun to be reinvented! Good luck—and good health—to you.

      Delete