Wednesday, April 7, 2021

More Fun Than a Barrel of Monkeys...


...or a pile of magazines. This cache of catalogs arrived in the mail today, and I'm more excited to read them than any of the fashion magazines I get. And I get them all.

Bless their hearts (an old Southern expression that really means "poor them") the fashion glossies are trying to have something for everyone—to read, to wear, to think about. All very fine and well, but there aren't enough pages in any of them to do that justice. 

They are trying, but one thing missing is real coverage of clothes. Fashion fantasies have their place, but even everyday fashion is a fantasy to many of us, a fun game we enjoy playing while also trying to express ourselves, dress appropriately and comfortably and stay within our budgets. Whew.


When I was a little girl one of my great delights was going through my mother's catalogs page-by-page and choosing which item on each page I would order. They were not clothes for me to wear, merely to choose. That could keep me occupied for ages. I also thought this was a great pastime to share when friends came over. No one else stayed interested for long.


To some extent I'm still playing that game. I will surely never purchase nightwear from The Vermont Country Store, but it's nice to play "What Would I Order if I HAD to?" Life during Covid almost went that far. 


J Peterman still sends out copies of their "Owner's Manual", a paperback of short stories with clothes to buy if there ever was one. The clothes are timeless, beautiful and overpriced. Each item comes with its own tale that makes you long to possess it.  J Peterman uses only illustration, the better to imagine yourself wafting around Rick's Cafe. Despite "Seinfeld" the catalogs are no joke.


Some catalogs are the stuff of legend. " We LOVED The French Boot Shop" on Facebook has 102 members, all wishing they had kept their catalogs from the '50s through '80s.

What's different today is I'm really looking forward to seeing what's in the those catalogs I just got. It's Spring, I'm vaccinated, I want to get out and play, and I want something to wear.

10 comments:

  1. I would spend hours looking through the catalog from Montgomery Wards twice a year. I loved to imagine which outfits I would wear. I still love to look through all the catalogs I receive and imagine a life I am not living at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The imagination is a wonderful thing! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. I used to have a J. Peterman blouse! I found it in a thrift store for $4.00 and didn't even know that it was a real business (I thought they made it up for Seinfeld).

    I also played the "What would I buy if I HAD to" game! I still do that, if I'm stuck in a store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely a real business! I think they can thank Seinfeld for their longevity. Not surprised to hear you played that game!

      Delete
  3. i played that game with the SEARS catalogue- i would open the pages randomly- sometimes it was girdles, sometimes men's hats, sometimes little girl dresses. each time i had to PICK the thing on the page that i would like the most... can;t believe we never talked about this, michelle!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine if we had known each other as children???????????

      Delete
  4. Don't knock the Vermont Country Store.....it's the only place you can still buy a seersucker summer bathrobe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really mean to diss on them. I've been reading that catalog since I was a kid, and it's very nostalgic. The only thing that changes are the prices. They are just not exactly fashion forward! Thanks for writing.

      Delete
  5. I used to buy several things twice a year from JJill, but I hardly find anything anymore. Their clothes just seem boring lately. J Peterman is definitely fun to read.
    Will your little store be reopening?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I have about as many JJill "basics" as I could ever need. Looking for things that will get me excited. The little boutique has been open for some time, but I have not rejoined them. Thanks for reading!

      Delete