Sunday, August 21, 2022

Will It be a Special Delivery?


You won't find me hanging around my mailbox waiting for the mail to deliver those September issues. Sure, I'll weigh them and count their pages to judge the health of my former profession, but I'm not expecting to be bowled over by anything I see.

The other day, after catching up on our families and giving up trying to save the world, a good friend and I agreed Fashion isn't exciting us these days, but we still like to shop. We were lunching at Mariposa in Neiman Marcus, if that gives you any idea. We want to be surprised, nay, brought to our knees by the thrill of finding what A) we'd always been searching for or B) something we never knew we wanted. That's not a bad place to be.

Vogue's pick of the 2022 fall trends. No comment
 
We both agreed that in fashion today nothing is new, and "retro" means styles from the early 2000s that we still have. We can "shop our closets", which could be liberating and kind of fun. This also means, instead of aimlessly buying the new for no other reason, when we are truly gobsmacked, we won't hesitate.

My personal attitude towards thrifting has changed as well. There are more offerings of the gently worn and the "it didn't work for me so maybe it will work for you." "Thrift shop" has become "resale", better curated, better presented and sharing real estate with premium retail.

As always, the first step in creating a workable wardrobe is weeding the garden of delights that is your closet. Get rid of what doesn't fit, you've never liked or is plain worn out.

A gal can dream...

So I'm stoked for fall, but in a way I haven't been before. The September issues are not going to tell me what I can and can't wear. They haven't done that for years. But I hope someone will bring back that patchwork-satin, lightweight-down cocoon coat I should have bought in 2002.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Well I’m glad you are excited! I’m more apt to be surprised and thrilled in a thrift or resale shop! Surprised at finding something new for me that is not seen everywhere and thrilled at finding such a bargain! I call it “resale therapy” and you can’t beat it!😁❤️😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sensed I'm a little late to the party! Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  2. Thrifting, secondhand, consignment - it's all about the thrill of the hunt! I found a beautiful 1960s Arola handmade Finnish cape earlier this week for $24.95!

    ReplyDelete