Thursday, February 16, 2023

MOBs and MOGs: Help Has Arrived!

Janna and daughter, courtesy "Mother of"

In my twenty years' working retail, including a brief affair with upscale bridal, I've always said, "In my next life I'm going to be a mother-of-the-bride designer." There is such a need. Invariably, whether a woman likes to shop or not, this is one excursion looked upon with trepidation, fear or even dread.

Thanks to the wonderful Roz Chast and The New Yorker for this brilliant distillation of the terror:


At last here come two women in the Minneapolis area with a genius idea. They've launched a site called "Mother of", an online clearing house of resources, ideas, reassurances and true-life tales. Discover them at: 

https://motherof.co 

Here you will find a plethora of suggestions for what to wear, arranged in categories of black tie, cocktail, daytime, destination weddings and suits. The price range is wide, the selections large, the models varied. Click on a photo; if interested click on "shop this dress" and you are linked to that item's website. From there you know the drill. This seems a most egalitarian way to host a website and quite a bit easier than scrolling through dozens of open tabs on your computer. They acknowledge they may receive remuneration if you make a purchase through mother of, but the site is totally free.  


There are sweet stories from real-life MOBs and MOGs, a section with answers to niggling questions like "Can a mother-of-the-bride wear white?" and "What about wearing pants?". 

Congratulations, ladies! You are brilliant! Do I wish I had thought of this myself? You bet. On the other hand, I can only imagine what hard work this is. I congratulate you for what I surely would not have knowledge or stamina to accomplish. 

Every woman about to join the bridal path of a daughter or son needs to know Cinderella wasn't the only one with a fairy godmother. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree MB! I had seen this online and think it’s brilliant 👍❤️

    ReplyDelete