Thursday, October 3, 2019

Clearly 2020

Dior

You are going to see so many riffs on "2020" as the year approaches, you might as well get used to it. As a kid I thought about 2000. I would be so old! It turned out I was 58. I've never thought ahead to 2020, but here it almost is. You can do the math.

Vanessa on the job

The 4-city marathon of shows (New York, London, Milan and Paris) has just finished. As reported by the lovely fashion editor of the New York Times, Vanessa Friedman, and distilled by Elizabeth Paton, we now have a sneak peek at trends for Spring 2020.

The Row

L O N G   S H O R T S
I would like to think this trend was influenced by my reporting on how awful women look wearing short shorts in the city as tourists. Alas, long shorts keep trying to be a thing. Street style stars love them; real women not so much. But longer and fuller shorts may have a chance. Not much different than a mini skirt, yes?

Bottega Veneta

S U P E R   S I Z E   B A G S
So much for the fanny pack trend. 2020's bags are bigger than ever. We women can't leave anything at home after all. Start doing your shoulder exercises now.

Bottega Veneta
Alberta Ferretti

O R A N G E   I S   T H E   N E W   B L A C K
Really. Orange and variations like apricot and saffron were seen everywhere. Not the easiest color to wear, you will stand out. Obviously do not pair orange with black.

Christopher Kane

C U T!
Besides the usual midriffs and bare shoulders, designers treated fabric to further punching and perforating in a deliberate manner. We are not talking shredded anything.

The 70s Ferragamo Rainbow sandals
Aquazurra, Spring 2020
 
S E V E N T I E S   S H O E S
Bring out the clunkers! Those chunky, colorful shoes are back. We almost broke our necks on them, but they were fun. Perhaps saner versions will emerge.

Christian Siriano
 
S U M M E R   S K I N S
It's never too hot for animal prints, which were hot hot hot for fall. Spring will see more prints than fur (faux or otherwise), snakeskins and jungle foliage touches.

Erdem

2 0 2 0  I N   T H E  1 8 T H   C E N T U R Y
The ruffles, poufs, jacquards and florals of 18th century European courts (as in off-with-her-head) were popular for their gender-bending possibilities as much as their sheer romanticism.

Once again it's a bit "anything goes" and "what goes around comes around". If you can say one thing about fashion, it does keep going.

3 comments:

  1. I find myself thinking, "Oh, this again!" Jeez, I just got rid of a jungle-print skirt! I do love the 70s platforms - they're much easier to wear than stilettos! I say NO to the giant bags - they're murder on one's back.

    I also thought of 2000 - I thought I'd be SO OLD then. I was 32-33. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOTHING I WANT IN MY CLOSET--but orange reflects up and truly give the face a bit of color in the winter- think- instant day in the sun. what it goes with: charcoal gray, winter white...that's about it unless you want to try olive drab- which is a tricky color to find, and of course the perfect tan gabardine trouser by YSL from 1975...but worth a try -

    ReplyDelete