Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Take Two Steps Back...

When does a designer's "inspiration" end up looking like a blast from the past? No matter that my friends and I can replicate Celine's 2020 runway look from the depths of our closets, so can a much younger fashionista. Jenny Walton is an illustrator, fashion director and girlfriend of the Sartorialist, Scott Schuman.

Here is probably the signature look from Celine.
It's the one that's been reproduced myriad times:

 
Here is a candid shot of Jenny by Scott as posted on his Sartorialist Instagram feed:  


The small type says Jenny reproduced the look from vintage—except the boots, which were a gift from him.

Were I to pull out this outfit from my own vintage (aka closet), I would feel like I hadn't evolved since 1985. There is no reason I want to wear this, other than to prove it still fits. OK, maybe the belt won't.

So what is the point? Is fashion just for the young? I remember reading, ages ago, that if you wore it once you can't wear it again. I interpreted that as meaning I am free to wear anything from the 1940s back.

Which is really okay. Have you seen the frocks in the new Downton Abbey movie???


2 comments:

  1. Isn't the point what it's always been? Not to replicate what fashion deems as "in" but to take what we like and create our own style out of it? Sure, lots of people just copy looks, and that can be fun, especially if you didn't live through it the first time (or second!) time around. It's also an opportunity to upgrade or replace similar garments with nicer quality ones. You know, buy all that cognac colour now if you love it; it'll be unavailable in two years!

    And really, why not nod to the trend and make the outfit out of what you already have? Wear it! Get compliments, get inspired!

    Your posts always make me think, Michelle. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Upgrading is what we do once we realize we have everything we ever wanted. Not a bad quest to be on. And replicating is not the true measure of style. You've made some great thinking points yourself, Sheila.

      Delete