Friday, July 3, 2020

Don't Tread on My Hawaiian Shirt!

At least he's wearing gloves...

The New York Times this week reported a simmering phenomenon I wish they hadn't noticed. Members of alt-right groups called the Boogaloo Movement have adopted the Hawaiian shirt as part of their regalia. Their aim, besides trashing my husband's beloved shirts, is to inspire a second civil war. You can just imagine all the ugly things that entails.

I absolutely see no connection.

This has something to do with a 1984 movie called "Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo", the word  mashed into "big igloo" and "big luau". So references to igloos and Hawaiian shirts represent the group's aims from civil libertarian rebellion to all-out race war. The Hawaiian shirt is even meant to be ironic, representing as it does a middle aged man's shirt of comfortable choice.  


As the wife of one of those middle aged men, I welcomed my husband adopting the uniform. They were more dressed up than a crew neck t-shirt and more original than a collared polo. Besides, the shirts were more flattering to his middle aged man shape, the one I probably fueled with too many homemade apple pies.

My husband has quite a collection of Hawaiian shirts now that he's even beyond middle age. One of his favorites cost $1.98 on sale at Sears. I love it too as it machine washes and tumble dries like a dream. Another favorite is a classy Ralph Lauren design, the first Father's Day gift our son chose and paid for himself. Who can deny my husband showing his team pride? Although this one is a dreadful rayon blend that wrinkles as you button it on. A Hawaiian shirt is the answer to How do I get him to look dressed up without making him put on long pants? In fact a Hawaiian shirt and long pants is too Miami Vice, and not in a good way.

The not-in-a-good-way way

The last thing my husband wants to promote is civil unrest. He's already put away red baseball caps. The Times wasn't clear whether the Hawaiian shirt can ever be reclaimed unless everyone starts wearing one. The best way to lick 'em may be to join 'em. Who knew camo looked so good with Hawaiian shirts? Just ditch the accessories.

Overdressed

5 comments:

  1. Well I totally missed this news, but these fools look like fools. Free the Hawaiian shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to assume this will just shrivel up and go away. Long live Hawaiian shirts indeed!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This depresses me. I started wearing Hawaiian shirts at work because they were fun, just fit the description of business casual, and made everyone smile. Now I feel they've been horribly tainted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think this is one of those tempest-in-a-teapot fashion moments. A reporter noticed a trend and wrote about it, but I don't think it will have traction unless the "Boogaloo Movement" gains steam (which it doesn't seem to be). So please continue to wear your Hawaiian shirts. Can't say the same about red baseball caps.

      Delete