Saturday, July 25, 2020

The Next Fashion Trend?

 
Almost five years ago I posted a blog on wearing scrubs outside the confines of a clinic or hospital. I bemoaned that the world was getting lazy, taking this comfort thing too far. I worried that wearing scrubs out and about was less than sterile, especially if you were on your way TO work rather than FROM. That post has had 32,740 reads.

I still worry about cleanliness, but my tune on scrubs has changed. Whenever I see anyone wearing them these days I want to salute or clap or whatever we are doing to honor our front line workers.

Some of my neighbors are doctors or nurses, by the way. When we greet (at a social distance) not one of them has complained or been fearful for themselves. It's as if, for our sake, the pandemic never happened. They are angels come to earth. They are the superheroes.

Not capes or sparkly leotards, scrubs are their heroic uniforms. Nowhere was this made clearer than in an oversized eight-page supplement recently with the Sunday's NY Times. It's an ad for a scrubs apparel firm called FIGS designed as a salute to these heroes in the field. The models are all young nurses or doctors who look like they could be models moonlighting in medicine. It's basically a salute that is an ad for scrubs, which is fine. It's beautiful and touches the heart.





No clearer could a mantra for today be than "You are what you wear". Scrubs, masks, hazmat suit, protective gear for any and every part of your body make you a warrior fighting an unseen enemy.
 
I almost considered adopting scrubs as my covid uniform. Heaven knows I'm trying to fight, obeying the rules to keep healthy and encouraging everyone to be safe. Scrubs are certainly wash-and-wear comfortable, non-judgemental and come in a nice selection of flattering colors.

FIGS' founders Trina and Heather

The FIGS brand was started in 2012 by Heather Hasson and Trina Spear with celebrity backing by Will Smith. They literally started selling out of their car as they gave away free coffee outside hospitals. FIGS uses soft, anti-wrinkle fabrics woven with silver ions for their antibacterial properties. I feel better already.

These can best be described as the Lululemon of scrubs. They are styled to fit and feature extras such as a pocket to hold your wedding ring. There is even a jogger style pant with a knit Yoga waistband. 

In the end I won't adopt scrubs as my uniform because I am in such awe of this army. I don't want to co-opt or corrupt their fighting gear. I dare not presume that imitation would be flattering. When I see that person in scrubs I will, however, be smiling. Under my mask.   


3 comments:

  1. Thank you. I find myself woolgathering at the scrub wearers in and out of my life. From my first husband the medical professional (and wanted to make sure everyone knew it!)to my current husband being cared for by scrub wearing angels in our home, not covid related.
    Funny, I just finished watching Nurse Jackie, which was dark enough and funny enough to hit a sweet spot right now, and the pocket for a wedding ring was kind of an early plot point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. There certainly was a time when scrubs = doctor bragging rights. My own physician (in his 60s) said when he was in medical school students were forbidden to go off campus in scrubs for that very reason. "Nurse Jackie" was certainly terrific, though bittersweet. I also hope your husband is doing better.

      Delete